Monday, October 1, 2012

Bed Post Detail

I can't find my camera cord, so I have no pictures to share, loyal reader.  However, since my sketchup is working just fine, I can provide some updates on how the bed is coming along nicely.

Actually, I have only cut the doors to size and sanded/prepped them.  I spent some time trying to figure out how I can make these bulky posts more elegant.

Due to constraints of the room, electrical outlets, size of the bed, and dimensions of the door panels, I had to cut the five panel doors down to four panel doors.  In order to make up the lost dimension in length, I had to use some rather bulky posts.  The cheapest S4S stuff I could find locally was some cedar at about  $14 per piece (4x4's).  Unfortunately, they look like posts for someones backyard deck.

I'm trying to figure out what I can accomplish with a router.  I'll probably soften the edges with a "stop"-style profile using a 45-degree angle bit, then sort of give a "notching" detail at the top to give the top some distinction.  Forgive me, fine woodworking. for not using the appropriate terminologies, I promise to clean up my syntax before I publish in your next issue.

Current concept:

I will cap with rosette

Another angle

Anyway, today was another long day, but this what I had time to squeeze in this evening.  (I even got up this morning to get a coat of paint on some tape damage I did this weekend!!)   When its time to do demolition on the next room in this house, I will leave my sledge in the toolbox.  Instead, I will simply bring the blue tape.  The most lethal weapon in my arsenal!!

=

No comments:

Post a Comment