Saturday, August 23, 2014

Occupy Archives: The Old Bathroom

In response to my last post about painting the bathroom... Here is what it used to look like:


Any questions?

Class dismissed.

Bathroom: paint

Well, file this one under more grandiose ideas with little-to-no backing whatsoever.

The bathroom.

Let's dig into the Occupy Archives (aka the land of broken dreams).  I once had some great vision for this room.  Then I found a pipe diverting sewage into my exterior wall... and...

well...

I gave up on the bathroom re-design and rushed to fix the leaking pipes.  Instead of getting a new bathroom, I got a refreshed view on humanity.

Occupy Archives: Ariel view (this is the re-design... no, I don't have a pedestal sink)

Wow, three years sure does go by fast.  And, there's nothing like time to slowly erode all hopes and aspirations.  I have since revised my standards of getting a new bathroom to: let's get some electricity in here and maybe some walls if I am lucky.

It hasn't been a total loss.  I did insulate, re-wire, re-frame, and sheetrock.  But the bathroom, for all intents and purposes, is still exactly the same.  Was it worth it?  Not really.  We've been living in here with what I like to call "sheetrock-chic" walls.  Its time to just give up and paint this thing.  It will make the house feel more like a home, and less like a site.

At this point I don't even care about picking a color.  Let's just grab some semi-gloss bright white left over from all the woodwork downstairs, and get to work.  I'm ready to cross something off my list.

Oh crap.  I forgot about tall the small details to close out the room 

Not so fast with the paint. I need to trim out a bunch of gaps, mud a ton of gaps, squeeze a few tubes of caulk into every crevice, and case the door.

Let's start with the door.

Cased. That was easy.

Why did I decide on older Victorian style?  Well, I only had about 3" inches between having a decent jamb reveal and the start of the tiles on both sides.  And, I had some of this stuff in the basement (at this point, I don't even remember why).  Anyway, I think it looks pretty good in here.  Simply and classy.

How did I scribe this? To tell you the truth, I don't remember.  I did all this work about a month ago in a 4-day work binge while the family was out of town.  Check out that mini-plinth.

Other side
 Now, I need to fill another gap.  I'm not going to over think this one.  I just have to cut a weird wedge piece.  I'm too lazy to lug the table saw out of the basement, so I'm just going to freehand this one on the jigsaw with an old blade.

And there you have it.

I've definitely seen worse.

I also had to fill A TON of gaps around the top of the bullnose tile.  It was ridiculous.

Tape and plastic

Oil prime.
Oil prime.
Paint.
Paint.

The good news is: I'm painting trim, ceiling, and walls all the same color.  This is classic git-r-dun in its highest form.

After one coat


Two coats.

And that's that.  One thing that I've notice on this blog is that I never post the cleaned-up final pictures.  That's because I basically never fully clean up.  Its almost a month later and I still don't have the screens in those windows above and the screwdriver is still on the window sill.

Oh well.  I'm working on gathering some more final pictures.  Have patience loyal reader. Until next time...

Paint it Placard


I'm a man of my word

Black is the new black

Nothing screams cover shoot for Fine Woodworking magazine like some non-wood that is routed and spray-painted rustoleom black.

Thursday, August 21, 2014

Pancakes for one, part II



***wince***

Well, pancakes for one are always depressing.  Especially when the last post about this was in May.

Here's the problem:  Trying to surface mount a pancake box, then trying to sink that box into the fixture shroud is basically impossible.  I guess it technically is possible, but most of the time it just doesn't work.

<deep thought>
You know, I could borrow a chipping gun and try to chip a perfect 1/2" deep, 4" diameter circle into the bricks on the front of my house...  
</deep thought>

Now, do you see why I'm complaining?

Well, what's the solution?

How about a "placard" that catches this fixture, surface mounted on to the bricks?  Make it look intentional and who knows:  maybe no one will even notice?

OK-- let's grab some environmentally friendly AZEK and so some layout.

Hey.. I guess.
Let's pull the router out while there's still a few minutes of daylight left in the day (and right before its about to rain) and try to cut a 1/2" deep circle into the AZEK.  Hopefully this won't wake Penney up.  This will sink our pancake box and allow the shroud of the lighting fixture to rest on our new "placard".

Free hand circle

OK wise guy, its not perfect but I'm on my knees on the concrete out here on a rush job

You know, that doesn't look half bad.

Royal flush

OK.  Let's pick an angle on the miter saw and just stick to it.  Cut all four corners off to make an elliptical-type octagonal shape.

But let's not stop there.  Re-chuck up the router.  Out come my favorite: the ogee bit.

I'm lucky my ogee bit still cuts anything at all.  I use this thing like there's no tomorrow.

Here it is in elevation

One more glamour shot.

It ain't the best, but it certainly ain't the worst.  Let's continue down Glamour Boulevard here and grab a can of black spray paint.  Classy.

To be continued.