Saturday, August 23, 2014

Bathroom: paint

Well, file this one under more grandiose ideas with little-to-no backing whatsoever.

The bathroom.

Let's dig into the Occupy Archives (aka the land of broken dreams).  I once had some great vision for this room.  Then I found a pipe diverting sewage into my exterior wall... and...

well...

I gave up on the bathroom re-design and rushed to fix the leaking pipes.  Instead of getting a new bathroom, I got a refreshed view on humanity.

Occupy Archives: Ariel view (this is the re-design... no, I don't have a pedestal sink)

Wow, three years sure does go by fast.  And, there's nothing like time to slowly erode all hopes and aspirations.  I have since revised my standards of getting a new bathroom to: let's get some electricity in here and maybe some walls if I am lucky.

It hasn't been a total loss.  I did insulate, re-wire, re-frame, and sheetrock.  But the bathroom, for all intents and purposes, is still exactly the same.  Was it worth it?  Not really.  We've been living in here with what I like to call "sheetrock-chic" walls.  Its time to just give up and paint this thing.  It will make the house feel more like a home, and less like a site.

At this point I don't even care about picking a color.  Let's just grab some semi-gloss bright white left over from all the woodwork downstairs, and get to work.  I'm ready to cross something off my list.

Oh crap.  I forgot about tall the small details to close out the room 

Not so fast with the paint. I need to trim out a bunch of gaps, mud a ton of gaps, squeeze a few tubes of caulk into every crevice, and case the door.

Let's start with the door.

Cased. That was easy.

Why did I decide on older Victorian style?  Well, I only had about 3" inches between having a decent jamb reveal and the start of the tiles on both sides.  And, I had some of this stuff in the basement (at this point, I don't even remember why).  Anyway, I think it looks pretty good in here.  Simply and classy.

How did I scribe this? To tell you the truth, I don't remember.  I did all this work about a month ago in a 4-day work binge while the family was out of town.  Check out that mini-plinth.

Other side
 Now, I need to fill another gap.  I'm not going to over think this one.  I just have to cut a weird wedge piece.  I'm too lazy to lug the table saw out of the basement, so I'm just going to freehand this one on the jigsaw with an old blade.

And there you have it.

I've definitely seen worse.

I also had to fill A TON of gaps around the top of the bullnose tile.  It was ridiculous.

Tape and plastic

Oil prime.
Oil prime.
Paint.
Paint.

The good news is: I'm painting trim, ceiling, and walls all the same color.  This is classic git-r-dun in its highest form.

After one coat


Two coats.

And that's that.  One thing that I've notice on this blog is that I never post the cleaned-up final pictures.  That's because I basically never fully clean up.  Its almost a month later and I still don't have the screens in those windows above and the screwdriver is still on the window sill.

Oh well.  I'm working on gathering some more final pictures.  Have patience loyal reader. Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment